RE: overload light Re: Pole PIg question

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Ed -

One of the biggest problems an Electric Utility (EU) has is voltage
regulation on their lines. If the voltage regulation is inadequate lights
flicker and motors burn out. There are laws that require the EU to provide
the proper apparatus to keep these conditions within certain limits. If a
customer has a load that creates the voltage regulation to exceed the limits
the EU must spend the money to correct the situation. The EU then attempts
to recover its costs from the customer.

I have been involved in these situations to design a customers electrical
system to meet the EU requirements. One customer had a 4000 HP motor and he
was at the end of a long transmission line. The rest of his load was small
so the motor was the dominant load. As the motor went on and off the line
the neighbors lights flickered. The solution was simple and that was to
increase the size of the transmission line. But who should pay for the new
line? The final solution was to split the costs between the EU and customer.
The customer paid for more expensive motor starting devices to lower the
starting currents and the EU paid for new lines which they agreed needed
upgrading.

With Tesla coils getting larger and sometimes creating problems for the EU
the coiler should be aware that if his TC causes problems on the electric
lines he is going the be subject to additional EU charges. Demand (PFC) is
also a problem but that is another story.

John Couture