RE: Wire worries......do I need HV wire, or will 600V hardware store wire do?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Don't remove the insulation.  Leave it on there, as whatever you have
helps.
But, if you had adequate clearance, you could definitely use bare copper
everywhere.
The only problems that would arise are when you work with very high
voltages (>40kV) where
corona discharge becomes a big problem especially if you have a high
voltage transformer with
limited power.

Will it take it?  Absolutely.  Look at your high voltage power lines.
They are mostly bare conductor.

Dan