Simple TC questions

Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-hydrogen18-dot-com>

I'm wanting to build my first coil, and I have a few questions.  First of
all, I understand the principles of a transformer, but is it true tesla
coils voltage gain is based on the capacitive reacteance of the main
capacitor and toroid? If so why is such a high turn ratio transformer?
Next, can I power my with a pulsed 10 kilavolt dc supply(MOT,ballasted with
1500W heater element) ran through a voltage quadrupler)? Next, I have
noticed 2 arrangements for the tank capacitor, one way is with the "tank"
capacitor in series with the spark gap and another is with the tank
capacitor in paralell with the tank capacitor. I dont understand this at
all, can some1 explain it better? Finally, I've decided on a 2 inch
secondary, 12 gauge primary, single static spark gap, and a saltwater
capacitor(scrounged up tons of glass bottles). The toroid is still under
consideration. Did I miss anything and thanks for any help you can give me
concerning my questions?

---Eric "Hydrogen18" http://www.hydrogen18-dot-com/