RE: 5MV, 15/120mA Tesla Coil -> Power vs. Energy

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Jim -

The way I look at it is

    Energy = Power x time = 3 KW of input power charging the primary
capacitor for 1 second = 3KW x 1 second = 3KW seconds of energy.

    Output Power = 1700KW x 1/567 second of discharge time
                 = 1700KW/3Kw = 567 magnification.

The TC builders said they estimated a 1/10000 second cycle time (per
second?).

    This would give   1700KW/10000 = 3KW x 5.67% efficiency

    The 1/10000 +/- second would have to be determined by test.

Calling it magnification seems more accurate to me. However, the important
consideration is that the times are in the calculations.

Peak/Average = 1700/3 = 567 gain would be a possibility.

Power is instantaneous. This can be taken that peak power at any instant is
always peak so peak with power is superfluous.

I think the radar (pulse?) compression would mean something different than
the TC magnification (dampened wave).

There is no way you can confuse power vs energy any more than it is now
confusing people. For example the Electric Power Company doesn't sell
electric power it sells electric energy.

John Couture