Re: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Hi Guys,

Think about it:  Everyone's NST's are center tapped.  Is this some
miraculous conversion of 110 single being converted to 12 or 15 thousand
volts two phase?  No.  Just one huge multi thousand count secondary
(Actually two separate but connected in the middle) with a wire tapped
in at
the exact center of the number of turns and grounded to case.  In a 15K
NST,
if we want 7.5K to run a small coil, what do we do?  Utilize one high
voltage bushing (one half of the windings) for a hot, and the case,
which
again is connected to the center of the huge secondary, as a neutral.
Want
double the voltage?  Run off of both bushings for the full fifteen
grand.
Same with a distribution transformer.

John Richardson"

	Not exactly so.  Plenty of smaller transformers have only a single
winding, ungrounded, and only two leads.

Ed