Re: overload light Re: Pole PIg question

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Calling the power company here has been an exercise in futility.  They
assume that you are a total dunce, and give a ridiculously simplified
answer, or more likely, they don't even know themselves.

I've been trying to get a coherent answer for 20 years about what algorithm
my demand power meter uses, so that I could design a load controller to
reduce our office demand charges.  I've talked to at least 5 different
"tech support" engineers who have each given me different explanations,
most of which boil down to "you don't need to know that, and wouldn't
understand it even if we bothered to explain it anyway"

I've been told that the light is an overload light, but that didn't explain
why it was on all the time, even at night in the winter when the lights and
A/C units are off.  Electric heat is not very common in this area, where
electric BTUs cost 6 times the price of natural gas BTUs. The explanation
about the latching function seemed the most coherent I've heard so far.

Dave