RE: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Agreed - there must be a distinction between the two hot wires that enter
my house, and 2 of the 3 wires that are uppermost on the utility poles (in
addition to the obvious voltage difference).  The two hot wires that enter
my house are derived from just 1 of the 3 wires atop the poles - a single
phase - and neutral, and you can't get two phases from a single phase.

But to round out my vocabulary, what is the proper term for the 2 hot wires
entering my breaker box?  Split phase 1 and split phase 2?

Gary Lau
MA, USA