Re: IS 240VAC two-phase - NO

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Allan,

Well, I've got to disagree with you. There are two schools of thought here
regarding electrical power, and you'll find that even some experienced
power engineers may argue over this.

However, I would think that the most meaningful answer comes by looking at
how multiphase power is actually generated. A single phase generator has
one pair of windings located at 0 and 180 degrees. A two phase generator
has 2 pairs of windings, one pair at 0 and 180 degrees and the other at 90
and 270 degrees. Similarly, a three phase alternator will have three pairs
located at 0 and 180, 60 and 240, and 120 and 300 degrees respectively.

I cannot agree that, by applying single phase AC to a centertapped
transformer, you'll get two phases at the transformer outputs - they are
still single phase, but one is in phase opposition (180 degrees) to the
other. Tesla's initial polyphase motors and alternators had two phases -
separated by 90 degrees. And early AC polyphase power distribution systems
had only two phases, again separated by 90 degrees.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP