Red Pilot Light Re: Pole PIg question

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>Some pole pigs have a red pilot light on them.
>Anyone know the significance of this light?

    Typically:
        This is wired to a latching set of thermal contacts.
        Roughly
        If the transfromer gets 'too hot' it latches on and the
        power co inspector can drive by and see:
            hmmmmm:  THAT one has been run up to it's max
            load we need to put in a bigger, or reduce the load or...

     The overloads come and go, and brief ones do not
      damage anything.  Alsoi, commonly, the transfromers are
      'overdesigned' so they run with the light on for  long
      periods.

    I'd expect the light to have zero relavance to 'coilg use...

    best
     dwp