Re: New coil

Always start with a "scrap wire" primary --- usually some old 12 AWG house
wiring works fine.  Use 20 to 26 turns max so you can find your exact tuning
point before putting the copper tubing in place.  This scrap wire pri has a
bare turn scraped every turn and staggered slightly so they don't arc over.

Keep your total pri spark gap at 0.120 inch maximum while doing initial
tuning.  Also, never increase your variac beyond 35-40% max until all tuning
is finished.

This tuning should also include raising your sec coil in 1/2 inch increments
to find the best coeff. of coupling match.  This is easy to do.  Use a small
piece of brass attached to the underside of your upper sub-base.  This brass
is drilled and tapped 1/4-20 NC.  Make a long 5 inch 1/4 brass stud coming
out of the bottom of your sec coil.  Then you can just screw the sec up and
down until you find the sweet spot.  Later, cut off the excess brass stud on
your sec coil.

After all this is done you can bring your variac up to full power --- never
before.

It sounds like your NST and pri cap might be resonating --- in which case it
can build up a resonance equal to 2.22 x Erms of the NST.  Be careful as
this can blow xmfr and caps.

A good value for cap would be equal to 1.6 x resonant value for your xmfr.
See the Geek Group charts to find the resonant value for your particular NST
and then use 1.6 x that value.  This insures your xmfr will not be in
resonance with your cap.

Resonant value does assure max power transfer, but NSTs are not made to
withstand the resonance and will blow.  This also applies to MMC type caps.
Set your MMC for approx 2.5 x Erms of the NSTs potential and you will not
have overvoltage problems.

Dr. Resonance