Re: Secondary winding frustration

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/3/04 10:53:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I read somewhere a few years ago on the TCBA newsletter (I think) about a
>team of coilers (pro physisicts? can't remember) that made an 8"x40"
>secondary with ~7000 turns of 42 awg. They managed still to get 5 million
>volts out of it with if I remember right a 15/120 supply. I take it that
>higher voltage doesn't necessarily mean longer spark, but am I overlooking
>something else? I don't think they mentioned the output length, but 5MV is
>hard to picture short.

I doubt that their coil was very efficient.  I think they used a lot more power
input.

>What if I keep the primary inductance high and add a bigger topload? This
>was my original idea, but was thinking that adding a breakout point reduces
>the effective capacitance, or does it do the equivelent of making it a big
>leakier capacitor? Can't test this without my scope and kinda chicken to try
>since it's not a robust tube unit.

I stand by my comments below.  I think such thin wire tends to be
lossy anyway in general.  I'd use thicker wire than 42awg.  I don't
like to use anything thinner than 28awg or 32awg in general for
Tesla coils.

John