SSTC first light - Plasmasonic

Original poster: "Shaun Epp" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Well tonight I wound the primary coil for my Plasmasonic SSTC and got
everything together.  Board set for Push Pull mode and close to 50% duty
cycle, Variac, line cord to connect power to on board rectifier (sorry Dan,
I know you said push pull is to be used for cw filtered power).

I hooked it all up and at first I could light up a flourescent tube 2 feet
away, then 4 feet way, then corona disharge off the breakout point.  Finally
I was getting 12 to 14 inch arcs straight up in the air, white, blue and
purple thick sparks.  I then tried to draw an arc with a ground stick and
the sparks almost vanished.  After a slight retuning I was able to draw a
firey orange arc about 8 to 10 inches to the stick.  Alot more power than a
SGTC.  I am happy with my results!

Now to try to get single ended mode to work (more power??),
Try full wave rectified  and off a light dimmer then rectified.
Try filtered DC.
Oh yeh,  make heat sinks for driver chips! --  IMPORTANT !!

My secondary is the good secondary I use for my spark gap tesla coil.  It'l
a 4.25 inch by 22 inch pvc tube wound with 26 gauge wire and coated with 13
layer of polyurethane.  Then a 3 x 12 inch toriod and a paper bill spike
(you know, one of those sharp pointed spikes that sits on a desk) for a
breakout point.

Shaun Epp

May the sparks fly!!