RE: TC Question and Discharge Safety

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

I agree it won't work. But why? I set up my small research TC and when I
energized the NST the fixed operating gap was firing like crazy. The primary
capacitors (.0125uf 24KV) were obviously being charged to some extent. It
would be interesting to see the charging curve on the caps. My fixed
operating gap is made with 6 copper tubes on a base that allows me to adjust
the parallel spacing of any of the 5 gaps. Each gap was set at 30 mils a
total of 150 mils. The firings were all along the 8 inches of gap length
like a bunch of fire crackers (normal operation).

It is my belief that this is a good example of why operation with any
current limited transformer the charging of the primary capacitor must be
carefully controlled to obtain the optimum output spark. This is also one of
the reasons why the output sparks vary greatly in length producing random
extra long sparks at times. The problem with the C.R. Magnetics faulty
wiring setup is that the primary capacitors were being charged alright but
the charge time could not be controlled.

John Couture