RE: Getting more input power

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh-at-synthstuff-dot-com>

Considering that the power that comes into your house is 200 Amp single
phase, there should not be any reason why you could not get a second
drop or extend a 50-amp line from your primary breaker box.

The electrician probably doesn't realize that you are wanting to run
large transformers, they are probably thinking "workshop=power tools"
and thinking that you want to run large motors - in this case, 3-phase
is the way to go for size and efficiency reasons.