Re: Getting more input power

Original poster: Christoph Bohr <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Ian

 > If the outlet is rated at 50A 3-ph, then how much power is available per
 > phase (to neutral) ?

If things are in the USA like they are in Germany this means each leg supports
50 Amps between inself and neutral as far as I know.

 > If it is 1/3 of 50A that is OK, I could split the power - use one phase for
 > the HV supply, and another for the RSG - but this raises a major issue.
 > The RSG will be out of phase with the HV supply by 120 or 240 degrees
 > depending on which two phases I use.

  in a way you are always 120 and 240 deg off, depending on your point of
view,
240 advanced equals 120 degree behind.....

 >  Is there any way of adjusting this
 > with some sort of phase angle adjustment.  The JF phase adjuster can only
 > manage about 90 degrees or so I believe.

I don't know if this is a standars value, but seems logical from the shematic
of the phase controller. From my personal eyperience I never  fully reached
90 degree. You might have to set your SRSG manually with low BPS. WIth higher
BPS this problem may vanish as there is no need to change the position
through suc a wide range.

 > I wonder how my NST's would cope if I connected them between phases ?  This
 > way they would be getting 415VAC, not 240VAC - and I wonder if the
 > insulation in the tranformers could cope with the higher voltage.

I doubt this will work. with some 120 transformers you will already experience
core saturation when overriven with a variac at 140V or so Volts. So I am
sure a rise to over 400 Volts will not be a good idea... if you want to try,
use a variac instead to slowly rise the voltage...and stand back ;-)

 >  Anyone
 > tried this ?  My guess is .. no way .. we would be upping a 15kV tranformer
 > to nearly 30kV, and we all know this is about the dialectric strength of
 > air, and the first real problem point for insulation breakdown and corona.

as mentioned above, I experct a lot of other problems will occur before you
get a chance to see 30KV at your output terminals....'though this would be a
nice spuplly.

One could connect zwo series connented NST over the 415 ( how do you get this
strange value....in germany we have 240/400Volts afaik ) and make use of the
higher voltage to lower the currents involved it the primary circiut for
managebility.

Sincerely

Christoph Bohr