Re: Secondary winding frustration

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 1/2/04 11:17:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>In the pursuit of ever longer sparks (and for a challenge) I'm building a
>hand held TC (a la BH-10 vacuum tester only bigger) with a high surge
>impedence to lower sync rotary gap losses

I can't see any advantage to using over 1400 to 1800 turns of wire
on the secondary.  Past a certain number of turns (inductance
actually), the gap losses decrease only slightly, but the wire
losses increase by a lot.  I suggest using thicker wire and
using 1500 turns or so.

John