Getting more input power

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Hi all,

I have been talking to my electrician about getting a 50A feed into my
workshop.
He has informed me that this is usually done with a 3-phase connection.  I
should have pressed him for some more questions, but forgot, so I'll ask the
knowledgeable people on this list.

My knowledge of 3-phase power is sketchy, whilst I do understand the basics.

If the outlet is rated at 50A 3-ph, then how much power is available per
phase (to neutral) ?

If it is 1/3 of 50A that is OK, I could split the power - use one phase for
the HV supply, and another for the RSG - but this raises a major issue.  The
RSG will be out of phase with the HV supply by 120 or 240 degrees depending
on which two phases I use.  Is there any way of adjusting this with some
sort of phase angle adjustment.  The JF phase adjuster can only manage about
90 degrees or so I believe.

I wonder how my NST's would cope if I connected them between phases ?  This
way they would be getting 415VAC, not 240VAC - and I wonder if the
insulation in the tranformers could cope with the higher voltage.  Anyone
tried this ?  My guess is .. no way .. we would be upping a 15kV tranformer
to nearly 30kV, and we all know this is about the dialectric strength of
air, and the first real problem point for insulation breakdown and corona.

Rgs
Ian