Re: MEASURING SPARK LENGth

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/31/03 3:50:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>im a newbie, but what are taps and leads and tap adjustments, how do i do
>them?
>Ravi

Ravi,

For your Tesla coil to work properly, the primary circuit consisting of the
primary coil and primary capacitor (the tank circuit) must be tuned to the
same frequency of the secondary coil with it's top load or discharge
terminal.  The secondary with top load will have a natural resonant
frequency depending on it's size, wire length, number of turns, etc.  We
usually use an adjustable tap on the primary to adjust the primary
frequency to match that of the secondary.  The tap would be moveable to
allow you to connect it to for instance turn # 7 or #8 or turn #9 1/2,
etc.  One of my coils utilizes copper tubing for the primary, the other
uses # 10 solid copper wire.  Each has a moveable tap wire that has a clip
on the end that has two rounded jaws so it just clamps over the tubing or wire.

Ed Sonderman