Re: Secondary resonant frequency vs. Skin Effect

Hi,

The skin depth at ~~200kHz frequencies has been estimated at 1 to 3 meters
in humans.  So, unless one ate way too much these holidays, or one's size
merits their own zip code, skin depth will not "save" you!!

The RF currents tend to travel along the higher conductivity nerves and
blood vessels in ones body.  So that is also where the damage is done!!  I
know of an RF engineer that was holding the end of a high power coax with
his thumb over the end "open load test" and noticed a burning smell..., and
a tech that had a tuner arc to the back of his hand at about 10kV...  They
were "hurting units" for a very long time!!!  But both "lived" through it
very well considering the power behind it...

On the good side, nerves do not react to RF currents.  That is why you
can't feel them unless they start burning holes in you.  In the burning
case, the holes are super painful, super deep, and may require surgery to
help heal!!

However, one may note the "super experts" in the field:

http://www.krampf-dot-com/

http://www.wondersofscience-dot-org/sfs/BIOGRAPH.HTM

These folks "do" let the RF currents run through them without ill
effects.  But they have been doing it longer than most of us have been
alive!!!!!  Don't do this at home or you "will die"....  A game for the
super expert, or the super stupid...

I also note that Cynder Moon and Danielle Stampe are women performers who
also do this.  One place where women seem to thrive in this mostly male
hobby...

But do note that really screwed up things can happen, like your hair
bursting into flames...

Austin Richards has a great suit of electrical armor too....

One may wish to refer to the lively posts under the search term "Arcs off
the fingers and getting killed in the process..." in the Tesla list's archives:

http://www.pupman-dot-com/htsearch.html

Of course, we can't forget the person that died...

Henry L Transtrom - Electrocuted while working on a stage and using a
large Tesla coil.  He inadvertently allowed a power arc to go from his body
to some metal framing that was part of the stage backdrop.  He authored the
following book:

  "ELECTRICITY AT HIGH PRESSURES AND FREQUENCIES"
Henry L. Transtrom, originally published: 1913, second edition
1921, Joseph G. Branch Publishing, Chicago; Reprinted 1990, ISBN
1-55918-054-4, Lindsay Publications, Bradley, Illinois, 60915.
Paperback, 247pp, Lindsay # 20544.

He was considered an "ultimate master" of the "arcs off the fingers" thing...

We super highly discourage anyone from doing these stunts, while noting,
that is it done by some very gifted few...

Most of use here that have been around for a long time have indeed been
shocked by Tesla coils and lived,  those that have died have never reported
back...  Our advice is just stay darn far away and don't get
shocked...  There is no reward for getting zapped, but there is a giant
penalty out there just waiting!!!

Cheers,

         Terry