Re: Gap Question

Original poster: "S & J Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

There are many.  An ordinary incandescent light bulb is one example.  If you
series connect a 40 watt bulb along with the right combination of inductor
and capacitor so that the RLC combination is very close to 60 Hz (in the
USA), the bulb will oscillate from bright to dim indefinitely at a rate
determined by the thermal constant of the bulb.  Why?  Because the nonlinear
R of the bulb causes the circuit to go in and out of 60 Hz resonance.

An ordinary diode is another example.  An iron core inductor has a nonlinear
AC resistance (impedance) because the core starts saturating at higher
magnetic fields.  In fact, most active electronic components exhibit
non-linear effects.  That is why designers go to great lengths to apply
negative feedback and other compensation techniques to make the device
behave in a linear manner (e.g. your stereo amplifier has these techniques
applied so the output is a faithful amplified copy of the input.)

Anything with friction is another.  The resistance to a force applied is
non-linear when an object goes from static to moving when pushed
horizontally along a surface (coefficient of friction is non-linear because
of "sticksion").  E.g. your auto braking (deceleration) is better when the
tires don't skid on the road.  (A husband's resistance to a nagging wife is
usually non-linear - the so-called "breaking point" effect is highly
non-linear!)  The world is full of non-linear effects and devices.