Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Kurt Schraner <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Luke

I enjoyed this thread very much, learning a lot about different views of
negative DIFFERENTIAL resistance as Ed Phillips was naming it. And I would
never like to discourage you asking basic Q's, the way you do it.

But why, regarding this 100W light bulb, don't you take a Variac plus
Ampère- and Voltmeter and perform a series of experimental [V,I]
measurements, in order to verify that nonliear V,I curve by your own
experience? - A simple mind (like myself ;-) ) might calling it beeing
happy about an easy result...

BTW, some other examples of nonlinear resistors:
NTC (= Negative Temp. Coeff. R's), used i.E. to limit switch-on current.
PTC (= Positive temp. Coeff. R's), having a steep rise of resistance in a
limited Temp.-range, used i.E. as current limiting devices.
VDR (= Voltage Dependent R's) ...used in the form of MOV's in Terry's
filter, in order to limit the voltage on NST's.
LDR (= Light Dependant R's) change resistance by light.

Cheers, Kurt