Re: MMC or Maxwell? Which is better?

Original poster: "Robin Copini" <rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>

Ok, I'll Bite...

  I reckon I may have been the first to use the CDE 942 series caps on a pig
worldwide - well before the Geek Group started
selling them.. My Setup - 33 0.33uf 942C series caps in series on a board
(i.e. 0.01uf per panel), 6 panels in parallel makes
0.06uf total, rated DC for the 942 series is 1600V so per panel gives
52.8KV. The pig is a 33KV 25 KVA rated at 240 input, and I overdrive it to
270V input, so you do the math as far as RMS and peak to peak is concerned.
200 BPS Sync rotary - the whole thing pushes out over 4.5 metre arcs
(measured)
CONTINUOUSLY when maxed out and I have run it for well over 10 minutes until
the 100 AMP breaker gives out. I spent a long time reading about rolled caps
and then Terry and Reinhard demonstrated the MMC concept and I went down
that way instead with nothing else but good faith and some good maths. After
4 years of runtime - not ONE failure, doesnt get hot or warm, no change in
the C value - in short - nothing! - I would be prepared to say MMC's would
be the single most standout revolution in Tesla coiling for the past 10
years at least if not more - sure go down the Maxwell path, but hey, I hope
you like door stops!

Best Regards

  Robin Copini