RE: LED at 60 HZ? (was RE: Radio Shack Strobes)

Original poster: "Philip Chalk" <phil-at-apsecurity-dot-com.au>

Malcolm - & Dr. Resonance,

		> Snip <

  > Anyone here tried wiring an LED straight off the mains with
  >   a capacitor <in series> chosen for its reactance at 50 or 60 hz?

Not a good idea. The non-conducting half cycle will apply a damaging
reverse voltage across the LED.

Malcolm

It does work, I've done it, the LED is happy provided you parallel it
with an ordinary diode connected A-K & K-A with the LED.  That diode
then conducts the reverse current (10-20mA or so) around the LED on
alternate half-cycles.  Use at least a 400V diode (1N4004) on 240V
mains, better to use like a 1N4007 for long-term peace of mind.

Regards,

Phil Chalk.