Re: Paschen paper online

 > Oh, the translation contains some funny parts too. For example, Kugel
 > means globe or sphere, spherical electrode, and not ball. One noteworthy
 > sentence was: "I give the following composition of measurements of
 > different observers with a radius of the balls of 1cm." Yuck!! ;-))

Probably more like "I give the following table (summary) of measurements for
1cm radius spheres by different observers"

It's that German word order thing, especially for prepositional phrases and
subjunctive .. (the old joke about the simultaneous translator going from
German to English.  The speaker rattles on for minutes and the translator is
silent...when someone asks why, he replies "I'm waiting for the verb")

 > Anyways. "Werthe"="Werte" means "values", not "worth". Yes, the old
 > germans had no clue about grammar... ;-) Generally you can replace "th"
 > with "t". Also, most "c" which aren't part of "ch,ck,sch" can be replaced
 > with "k" or "z". Some substantives/nouns end with an extra wanna-be lyric
 > "e" that can be ignored. All "tir" => "tier" (justirung => justierung).
 > By applying these rules of thumb you should be able to find most of the
 > 'strange' words in any standard german-english dictionary.

Quite useful...

I usually just try to pronounce it as written, then spell it, and I can look
it up.

 > Schutzringkondesator = capacitor with a protective metal ring around the
 > other (fixed) electrode; the ring reduces fringe effects. I don't have
 > any english HV engineering books at hand, but the ring cap should be a
 > standard component, "protective ring capacitor" or similar...

guard ring capacitor.