Re: LED at 60 HZ? (was RE: Radio Shack Strobes)

Hi,

White LEDs bombard phosphors with UV light to make the bright white
light.  Just like a CRT or common florescent tube.  They probably flash
well at 60Hz but they may indeed be poor for a strobe that need to turn on
and off in significantly less than 1mS.  I wonder what the frequency
response of white LEDs is?  but don't want to drag it OT...  I note that
the new electronic ballast florescent lights that operate from 50 to 100kHz
can destroy IR communications, so the brighter phosphores may be very fast...

Since I got the stuff to test it...  I just flashed my 1GHz fiber probe
input with one of those key-chain style white LEDs.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WhiteLED-1.jpg

and the answer is...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/WhiteLED-2.gif

literally, as quick as lighting at 165nS ;-))  So the frequency response of
white LEDs is probably a few orders of magnitude faster than any strobe
light needs :-)))

Cheers,

         Terry