RE: Static gap......The Fellowship of the Ringup

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Luke,

 > Original poster: "Luke" <Bluu-at-cox-dot-net>
 >
 > I would absolutely love for you to do that.
 > Would be very cool!!

We will do it.  I'll keep you posted.  All I really
have to do is scuff up a piece of HDPE and glue all
those pipes from the Terry gap wood base onto the
moisture resistant plastic base.

Then I'll have to unbury my Tek oscope from underneath
a very heavy Hallicrafters tube shortwave and drag it
into the living room, where my 6" system is set up.

 > But you say 1 2 and 3 are the same.
 > They would be the same if the cooiling was done by
 > air movement as is
 > typically done.

True.  I assumed that though, since the original
message you wrote was regarding air movement.  Good
that you're thinking "out of the box" though.  More
likely to happen upon an innovation.

 > But what if say your electrodes were each formed by
 > copper pipe that
 > were each part of its own chilled water loop
 > (chilled water inside the
 > electrode).  You would then cool the electrodes a
 > lot, cool the air
 > between them a little less than that and the effect
 > on the excess ions
 > would be nill other than the temp difference of the
 > air.  There would be
 > no moving air to carry them away.  I do not intend
 > to do this but 1 2
 > and 3 seem to be slightly different but lumped
 > together because of the
 > way things are commonly done now.

Yeah.  What I meant was that with sufficient forced
air you pretty much take care of all three.  I believe
most coilers' experience has shown that the removal of
ions from the gap is the most important factor.

When you get your system finished make sure you build
it for modularity and the ability to quickly exchange
components in the tank circuit (ie don't permanently
mount anything) and the sencondary/toroid arrangement.
  You'll be able to test a lot of these things for
yourself....you'll have a reasearch coil.

 > If you do that test I might be beating down your
 > email door to hear
 > bought it.  :)  thanx for the offer

I *will* do the test.  I'll try to do it this week if
possible, if not, early next week.  We have a big ham
fest coming up here Saturday, so I'm looking forward
to scoring components and having a lot of fun, but the
gap comparison is really no problem.  The biggest pain
will be lifting up that Hallicrafters rig while
someone pulls out my Tek.  Oh yeah, and another thing
I need to do is get either a feeler gauge to run
between the pipes on my TCBOR, or a caliper to measure
each end of the gaps.  I never had an exact
measurement of the TCBOR gap distances, which is
unforgivable.  It ensures folks can't replicate my
work if they want to, which is tantamount to doing
decent science.  It does reveal though, that a "seat
of the pants" attitude can yield good power processing
and long arcs.  There comes a point where you may want
to expedite things and just start coiling before
worrying about the tedium.  It will give you
inspiration and help make you that much more
determined to learn what's going on.

After the epoxy has dried on the gap I will haul out
the scope and my SONY Digital8 Handycam and document
the whole thing.  I'll make the video available on my
hot-streamer page for you to download.

I will keep you posted.

-Brett