Ballast Characterisitcs

Original poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

List
With large ballasted systems, with current swings, what
kind of "insertion impedance" does the ballast present
between the utility source and the load.  I suspect it
will generally fall into two categories:
1.  Ballast "clips" the upper peaks of current and load
      sees this as a "clipped" utility voltage.  This would
      be a similar operation to a "Tungsol" current
      regulator; and might be representative of a "L + R"
      ballast system.
2.  Ballast presents a uniform impedance between source
      and load.  A short circuited welder or inductive ballast
      system would be representative.
I would assume what would be deisred is a constant current
characteristic that might on surface suggest that 1 is more
favorable.  On negative side, I could invision an increased
risk of transformer saturation with 1 versus 2.

Comments?  Thanks!

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA