Re: Gap Question

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Luke,

Yes, I'd agree fully with Gary. But, opinions are either how someone has
reasoned the logic or their experience, so opinions will vary, but they are
needed. The second part of that is how you interpret the info and what you
choose to do with it.

With that said, my opinion: the only way I see gap losses changing between
gap types for a given breakdown V is heat dissipation and stabilization of
breakdown V over consecutive bangs. It should be obvious that electrode
temperature affects breakdown V. If parallel pipes have good heat
dissipation characteristics, then that would aid stabilization of the
breakdown V. In that respect, they would tend to have lower losses in
comparison to some other type of gap which cannot dissipate the heat as
well. However, the term "losses" as described here isn't as though you can
just add more power to the assembly to make up for the lower breakdown V.
You would have to cool the electrodes to bring the breakdown V back to
equivalency.

The gap has a negative resistance characteristic, in that when the
breakdown occurs, there is a current across the gap and an associated
voltage drop across the gap. The voltage across the gap will increase if
the current decreases. Note this is just the opposite of what you might
think in terms of voltage and current. Now, with that in mind, if a gap has
a lower resistance, and this resistance is negative, the current will
follow the resistance and decrease: higher breakdown V. So, does that throw
a wrench into the works? I'm not the right person to really discuss this
situation (others know far more than I). That's about as much as I've
picked up on the situation.

Take care,
Bart