Re: How do I protect supply wires

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 03:26 PM 21/02/04 -0700, you wrote:
 >Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>
 >
 >The reason for the 30ft distance is I put the pig in the control box.
 >I don't want to be closer to the coil when it is running.  If I just
 >put them in pvc and they get hit, I'm afraid it might feed back to
 >me.  Do you think that a safety gap at the pig is sufficient?
 >
 >Steve

Hi Steve, Coilers,

That puts things into a different light and I now understand why you
wanted the greater distance.  Another list member suggested putting
the PVC conduits for the supply leads underground.  That is a great
idea if it can be done, but it's a tad difficult if your shop floor
is concrete like mine.  I still think you'll be OK if you keep them
flat on the floor/ground until within the radius of the strike rail
before coming up into the coil base to the tank circuit.  Putting a
safety gap at the PDT's HV bushings is good.  I use a horn gap made
from 1/4 inch copper tubing, set about 1/8 inch wider than the main
gap's setting.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle