Re: term understanding: voltage reversal.

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello All who replied.

First thanks a lot for your explanations, I think I got that now.

 >This is why 35 kV Maxwell caps that are continually offered on eBay have
 >been observed to prematurely fail when used in 15 kV RMS systems:
 >http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2595652751

Thats not so good nows. I use these caps with my 6MOT supply for
aproximately 30 Minutes in intermitted short runs with no problems. Of
course this is 12 and not 15KV but that will probably not change much.

More important to me: how do these caps fail? I heard a lot ranging from
internal shorting to explosions....
If it just breaks its OK, but when it should be spitting burning oil I
really have a problem as I do my coiling indoors. I check the temperature of
the caps regulary and they never heat up significantly.

Thanks for your replies

regards

Christoph Bohr