Re: Tesla coil grounding and other questions

Hi Joe,

 > Original poster: JOSEPH CACCIATORE <jocatch-at-us.ibm-dot-com>
 >
 > Sounds like what ever else, the capacitor
 > will always be .0063 uf with the transformer I have.

6.3nf is resonant for your NST.  You might want to try 9-10 nf instead

 > Of course I am not sure how good the NST is. I used it years ago to fire
 > the original TC and it makes a nice Jacob's ladder but I am not should if
 > it is damaged and running at reduced voltage. I say that because I
measured
 > the DC resistance of the secondary with respect to the center tap (NST
 > case) and on one side I measured 30Kohms and the other side 20kohms.
 > Doesn't sound right to me!

You can always use it until it quites.  There is a 12KV 60ma NST on ebay, I
think, for $37

 > I assume I can connect the bottom of the secondary to the NST case only
and
 > not use any other ground.

Yes, except also connect to center tap of safety gap and to RF ground
(grounding rod staked into the ground).  DO NOT connect NST case to mains
safety ground

 > Regarding the toroid on top, I saw a picture where someone use 3" stove
 > exhaust pipe. They connected 4 right angle pcs to form a rectangle of
 > sorts. It is solid and holds up well but I would guess not a good idea
 > because of the sharp edges where the parts slide into each other. For any
 > toroid using aluminum hose, what do people use for the center section?

I cut out plexiglas and RTV it into the center of the toroid.  Then I use
aluminum tape to connect the toroid to the center (fill in both the top and
bottom of the plexiglas with tape).

Gerry R