Re: Chokes vs Safety Gaps

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

" >  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
  > ,
  >  > RLC? That is exactly what I tried to do about 8 years ago. I
  >  > constructed a balanced-about-ground multipole filter with a
  >  > Butterworth characteristic based on the macro component values
that
  >  > apparently counted and killed a NST in less than a minute (the
only
  >  > one I ever lost incidentally).
  >
  > What did you consider as loads, or terminations, for the filter?
  > These filters require resistive terminations at both sides with
  > correct values for proper behavior. With low damping they will
  > resonate.

I considered a voltage source (approximating the gap) at the gap end
and the transformer itself at the transformer end. I fed it with a
range of frequencies from the gap end close to the coil frequency.
What I did not do (and should have done) was feed it with step
functions :("

	I did that in an Electronics Workbench simulation and decided that an
RC filter was a much better way to go.  The circuit I simulated looked
like an LPF but rang up to quite large voltage.  By the way, I assumed
that the NST looked like a small capacitance, which isn't exactly
correct but probably good enough to get significant results.

Ed