Re: Using 240VAC on 140VAC Varic

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Dan,

I have two 20 amp 140VAC variacs now.  One General
Radio non enclosed component variac, and one enclosed
generic brand with voltmeter, breaker and recepticle.

Although I would hate to ruin the GR I really will
need a 240VAC variac in the somewhat near future as I
plan on testing a secondary wound on a 12 inch
Sonotube former I have sitting in my lab.  It would be
nice to be able to run a 4 or 6 pack MOT stack of 240
with a variac that didn't weigh (or cost) as much as
the 240 variety.  I would definately be willing to
give it a try, especially if others have done it in
the past without smoking their windings.

-Brett