From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 7:16 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: audio modulated SSTC

Original poster: herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de

Daniel, Jan, Finn, Jim, David and all, who helped,

Thank you very much for your quick assistance. I have gained a lot of
insight. In order to summarize:

1. Push-pull-/single-ended-mode of TL494 controller:
      I understand, that these are control modes only and have nothing
      to do with audio modulation itself. Push-pull-mode may be used to
      reduce the power, dissipated in the switching components.

2. Audio modulated self-resonant systems: My fault was, that I
      assumed special problems while using  *digital* modulation.
      "Actually self-resonant systems just keep the phase difference
      between drive signal voltage and TC current draw at zero
      degrees." The advantage of self-resonant systems should be their
      relative insensibility to changes of the secondary coils natural
      frequency.

3. Driving the resonator digitally:
      I learnt, that it is possible to drive the secondary coil not
      only with sine waveshapes (as in "conventional" systems) but with
      digital waveshapes as well. "A unique property of driving a
      resonant load with a stepped voltage at it's resonant frequency
      is, that it automatically aligns to zero current switching."

Again any answers and comments are very welcome.

Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil!