Re: Output Characteristics of SIMPSON 200:5 Current Transformer

Original poster: David Speck <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Dan
I agree fully with Jim's response below.  Only problem is that you end up
with low voltage AC across your sensing resistor, which may be hard to
input to your uP, unless you construct a precision rectifier or RMS
converter circuit.  Doable, but a hassle.

As an alternative, check out:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2594675143&category=26215

This transducer takes 20A full scale AC and converts it nicely to 1 mA DC
isolated.  If you feed it with the output of your 200:5 CT, it will go
0-250 uA for your full scale range of whatever CT you connect to it.

Might save you a bit of hassle.

Also might want to check out:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2593705989&category=4665

These LEM current transducers work much like CT, but have the huge
advantage of being able to sense DC as well as AC with a respectable
frequency response..  The output it as an isolated analog reflection of the
combined DC and AC through the sensing opening.  They require +/- 15 volts
DC for excitation, but have the distinct advantage of not putting out any
dangerous voltages if you pass primary current through them without a load
on them, or if the drive voltage is absent.

The tech support people at LEM are very helpful, but I have spec sheets for
these units if you need them.  They make some models that include a
precision rectifier, for DC only output, but I've never seen these on eBay.

These units may take on a bias if you pass primary current through them for
long periods without drive power applied, but you can demagnetize them like
an old tape recorder head with a strong AC magnet to cancel the bias.

HTH,
Dave