NST protection query

Original poster: "explorecraft" <pariah-at-explorecraft-dot-com>

My question regards the effect of frequency
  on the protection of the NST.

My NST is a 15kv30ma,
  and although it has always proven quite sturdy,
  generating long arcs for various experiments,
  I have never used it for a Tesla coil.

Reading the various protection schemes,
  I see the 'Terry Filter' seems to be the
  current vogue, but I am not sure I can get
  the right components here <Jakarta> to build one,
  being (perhaps) cheaper just to buy a new coil.

That said, I am under the impression that the lower
  the resonant frequency employed, the more
  important the protection design should be,
  given that if we design for higher frequency mode
  that protection against hf backing into the NST
  gets easier to achieve with small chokes.

If I do run the primary at high frequency (10 mhz++)
  then would simple chokes suffice?

Another thought regarding the 'self-resonant' failure
  of chokes is that perhaps it might be best to
  vary the 4 chokes around the safety gap
  in order that they are all differing values
  to avoid self-resonance? <devil in the details...>

cheers