Re: Mini Audio modulated self resonant SSTC

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Jim,

This is not going to work.

Using the antenna/comparator to time the oscillation, you only need one
gate driver chip, TC4428 works well, to drive tha beefy gate driver from
Aron/Justins site. This method (from antenna -> streamer) implys that your
gate signal goes directly from positive to negative.

The audio modulation of the TL494 works this way: The gate signal goes
positive for less than 180degrees, then to zero til 180 degrees. Then
negative for less than 180 degrees and back on zero untill 360 electrical
degrees at Fres. has passed. The output of the coil is determined by pulse
width modulation, and the ratio btwn. pos./neg. (called on time) and zero
(called dead time) is varied, so that when the dead time is large, the
output is low.
To make this work, you need 2 driver chips, and the TL494 set for
differential output.

Furthermore, with the TL494/antenna-comparator circuit, you have the option
of using either of the 2. when you swich to antenna self tuning, the TL494
fixed frequency circuit (with all it`s sofistication) is bypassed.

Modulate the rail! Particularly since you are shooting for low power.

But size the series element right:
It must be able to pass the full current, and block the full voltage. It is
no problem getting a semiconductor that can do that, the IGBT`s of the
bridge do that all the time. However it must also be able to dissipate the
power that is set up in it, when it is biased at it`s operating point.
That`s where it is "idling along" without any audio in, and should be able
to both swing positive and negative by equal amounts. So half of the supply
voltage is across the device.

At that time, it will have to dissipate 50% of the full power: full
volts*full current.

I have forgotten how to justify this statement, but I am sure others will
help me out.

So what you have to look for is an IGBT with the voltage rating of the
supply, and a current rating much higher, by looking at the dissipation
ability of the device.

We are not going to get both loud and fidel audio at the same time right
yet, but imagine the jaws of the (hopefully) buying audience, if you start
the presentation by playing the start of "An der schonen blauen Donau"
That`s the starting melody of "Year 2001, A space odyssey" And it does like
this:

da da da da daaa  bam bam   bam bam

And the "da`s" are audio modulated CW audio, whereas the "BAM`s" are short
streamer producing bursts, of course delivered with the appropriate breakrate.

Boy do I love this hobby.

Cheers, Finn Hammer