Re: Racing sparks

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Malcolm,

I've been visualizing the wave mode you mentioned. The eigen function as
Gerry questioned for the freak wave would probably be correct if there is a
wave of this type along the length. I wonder what possible conditions in
our coils could cause an abnormality? Whatever the ingredients are, they
are certainly to k and being outside of oscillation. Hmm, come to think of
it, in a poorly tuned coil there should be waves of different oscillation,
and when they meet would produce an eigen function of some sort (spike in
the wave, reflection, etc..).

I wonder if Paul has run across any  of these conditions in his
simulations? It would be interesting to see one of his gif animation's for
a slightly high coupled and poorly tuned system. I'm not sure if his
software is capable of looking at those details, but it would be interesting.

BTW, here are some interesting gif animation's with an Eigen wave function.
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Services/Class/PHYS386/images/movies/index2.html

Take care,
Bart