RE: help needed with building a mini table top tesla coil

Original poster: "Laurence Davis" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

There have been a few rather capable people on the list
that have tried such a small secondary.  Some interesting results
but usually leading to failed secondary due to racing.
10kv/30ma input on such a small coil sounds very high energy per bang.
search for "sam barros mini coil" ( a pen style tesla coil )

For a first project, a secondary of 2inches or so would likely give results.
something so small would just give quite a bit of problems.
Your 'first light' will get you hooked, then try to build a smaller one.

the smaller ones have high voltage stresses on the secondary and are difficult
to overcome.  A sweet spot of 2" - 4" secondary diameter, 0.1-0.15 coupling
for a static gap
coil.

larry.