Re: UNITS

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Ken,

0.80mm is the diametre of a wire the size of which lies inbetween a wire
that is 0.79mm in diametre and one that is 0.81mm in diametre.

I`m sorry that there is no easy AWG equivalents here, but then, that`s the
beauty of the metric system.

Because we can walk right into a motor rewind shop and get wire with 0.01mm
difference.

Here is an explanation why it is easier to understand magnetics, if you
take the SI approach:

Systems of Units:
      The internationally accepted SI system of units (Systeme
International dÙnitès) is a rationalized system, in which permeability, µ =
µo*µr (µo is the absolute permeability of free space or nonmagnetic
material = 4pi*10^-7; µr is the relative permeability of a magnetic
material). In the unrationalized CGS system, µo=1, therefore µo is omitted
from CGS equations so that µ = µr. But the rationalization constant µo does
not just disappear in the CGS system - instead, portions of this constant
now show up in all the CGS equations, complicating them and making them
more difficult to intuitively grasp. In the SI system, all of the "Garbage"
is gathered into µo, thereby simplifying the SI equations.

This was taken from:
http://focus.ti-dot-com/lit/ml/slup123/slup123.pdf
and I owe it to Jan Wagner
http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla/
to have found the article in the first place.

Cheers, Finn Hammer