Re: MOT info

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

What matters is the inductance of the roll, and to a much smaller degree the dc resistance. As it comes on the roll with 120v you get 26 amps limiting. If you decide to put it on a biggish pvc pipe (8-12", hard to wind smaller since the wire is kinda stiff) with multiple layers close wound the inductance will certainly increase (more limiting), but by how much depends on several factors (inner dia., height, how many turns, how many layers, total outer diameter). There's a ballpark formula similar to the TC primary one, but can't find it offhand. An lcr meter comes in handy for stuff like this. My guess is for the 22A limit you probably won't need a core, with the core (welding rods) it'll probably go down to just a few A tops.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: MOT info

Original poster: Rich Simpson <richcreations@xxxxxxxxx>

On Dec 29, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Black Moon" <black_moons@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Uh guys, there IS no cost diffrence beween 120v at 60amps and 240v at 30amps, your charged by the watt, not by the amp.
I was the original poster, and I do not think that anyone said anything about 120v 60-amps vs 240v 30 amps, we were talking about 240v 60 amps vs 240v 30-amps which is half the watts.

I did say I had a dual 120v variac but 2 legs of 120v is 240v which is how I am using the unit, as such the unit is rated to 240v/22-amps, I want to keep my current low enough to not burn out my variac, So I need an inductor(s) that will do this. I am aware that I will need two of them, one for each 120v leg. someone suggested 500' rolls of #10 or #12 wire, that sounded easy, and I have seen such on the net, but he also said it would be around 26-amps, what confused me is that when I have seen this on the net, there was no core and I sorta thought you needed one. I have seen on the net where someone wound wire around a pvc pipe that they could fill with welding rods. If a 500-ft roll of #12 wire with no core will limit to 26-amps, would 500-ft of wire wrapped around a pvc pipe with out a core also limit to 26-amps, or does the # of turns matter more then wire length? then I could add a removable core to further limit the current. Let me know if I am completely misunderstanding the concept here...