RE: MOT info

Original poster: "Carl Litton" <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Rich,

The advice above your question is quite sound.  Inductive ballast on the
input line is the simplest and easiest way to control current at the
output.  If you have an assortment of transformers lying around as most
of us do, there is more than likely one that will work.

The primary is put in series with the input line and the secondary is
either left open (high inductance) or shorted (low inductance).  There
are many variables and a good LC meter is certainly helpful to measure
the inductance of the primary.  The inductive reactance can then be
calculated and the result in Ohms plugged into Ohm's Law to tell you
what the output current limit will be.  A more detailed explanation
appears on our site:

http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/ballast.html

MOTs by the way are often a good choice in the 0-30 Amp range.  Based on
our field tests of 25 MOTs, a good rule of thumb is that the open
secondary reactance averages around 12-25 Ohms and the shorted secondary
reactance averages 1-5 Ohms at 60 Hz, giving current control
capabilities down to around 10 Amps in some cases.  Others on this list
may wish to comment or offer differing results but this is our
experience.

Good luck!

Carl Litton, Director Raleigh-Bartlett Science Club