RE: Safe parameters for stupid human Tesla coil stunts

Original poster: "Owen Lawrence" <owen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks to everyone who posted a response.  I read that thread from the
July/2001 archives from front to back, too.  When I built my first Tesla
coil, it was a small one, with an ignition coil for the primary.  Part of my
demonstration at the science fair was to show that you could feel the shock
when you touched the primary coil, but not the secondary.  If I remember
correctly, the coil resonated at 32MHz, and everything I had read up to that
point said the skin effect was what made it safe.  And I had read everything
available to any 15 year old on the subject, up to that point.  Glad nothing
bad happened.  (And 1st prize was mine, too. :) )

Now I've got a 30mA neon sign transformer, and a second waiting to be added
when I get more experience.  That's probably about as far as I want to go
with it.  I have never taken a shock off any of this stuff, and have no
intention of doing so, especially now after reading your point #2, below.  I
don't want to be afraid of my toys, but I am careful, one hand in the
pocket, etc.  I guess I want to hear that if an arc does happen to reach me
(HV can be weird stuff sometimes) I'm not going to die from it.  (I know, I
know, you can't say 100% for sure I'm not going to die from it, but say what
you can.)

People perform these stunts so they can be seen.  When I find a cool video I
show it to my colleagues at work.  They ask questions, and I give the best
answers I can.  Until now I've never said, "Hey, check out this really
really dangerous thing this person is doing!"

  - Owen -