Re: Leaky Pig

Original poster: Bunny Killer <bunikllr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

2 questions...

1. is your oil level above the bottom of the ceramic hi volt insulators and does the wire in the insulator have the paper tube wrapping?
2. is your vent hole open ?

if there is enuf temp change in a short enuf of time, the air volume expands/contracts acting like a pump which will pressureize the case and if the oil covers the bottom of the ceramic insulator it will pump oil all the way up to the top of the insulators and develope a slow leak.... either loosen the top a tad or open up a vent hole... allow the air to move quicker during the temp changes....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
Folks-

I haven't used my pig much, but I finally figured out where it's been leaking from - the top of the bushings!
Oil actually DRIPS off the terminals at the top of bushings, runs over the top, and makes a mess on the floor. I've seen it, but I can't figure out why. Granted, it's getting colder out here in Virginia Beach, but the thing came from Wisconsin and leaked all over the pallet on the way here. I wouldn't think the oil level could still be high enough that thermal effects would squeeze it out.
Can transformer oil creep UP and over a surface? Or is there some capillary action up the internal terminal wiring? Is there some sort of venting/pressure equalization system on the pig that needs to be checked?

-Phil LaBudde