Re: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

It's also a good idea to set your coil up to fire one pulse every 10 sec, and there are 2 ways to do this:

Precision firing:  Rectify the HV off the pwr xmfr to DC and fire thru an
ignitron such as a National 7703 (Richardson Electronics -- $1,100.

Non precision firing:  Rectify the HV off the pwr xmfr to DC with a long
string of diodes (we use Fuji) and then run thru a 10 meg (bunch of cheap
series resistors) resistor which will provide a shot every 8-10 sec
depending on resistor value.

With a Pearson or Ion Physics current xmfr you can see the current waveform
and get a precise measurement with an "antenna" pickup on the scope (6-8
inches of bare wire then into coax line).  Place antenna 6-12 feet away
depending on size of coil.  You want enough distance to get a clear signal
without swamping the scope.

Since the potential measured in this single shot mode is independant of the
waveform, you can use a 6-12 inch sphere near the toroid and measure the
precise coil voltage from the single shot sparking distance.  Use Handbook
of Physics & Chemistry for the tables.  Use a ground sphere that matches
your toroid's minor dia.  It's always interesting to compare these results
with the calculated Vsec = Vpri * X * SQR (Ls/Lp).  Solve for X, the
efficiency factor, to see the efficiency of your coil.  It's usually 50-75%
for the X value.

You can also place a 50 Ohm resistor near the antenna-coax junction to
change the peak current into peak voltage and calibrate you scope for
potential measurements.  You need a 100 kV DC power supply to attach to the
coil's toroid for calibration, and then it's a matter of potential indicated
vs. distance for the peak potential.

Dr. Resonance