Re: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

Subject: RE: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

> Original poster: "Tom Luttrell PWRCOM" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > We use an Ion Physics Corporation CM-1-L current transformer (0.1V/A > into 50R) to measure up to 50kA. We've also go a 100kA version somewhere > but I couldn't find it to get the part number. > > The soucre impedance will control the short circuit current. >

At these current levels and presumably fast pulses there is no such thing a
short circuit.

The current level will be determined by the total resistance and inductance
of the circuit.
To avoid voltage reversal on the cap the circuit should be at least
critically damped. Off hand but I think that's a Q of one.
If you do a google for the design of flash tube discharges circuits you
should get all the required formula.
If nothing else make certain there is sufficient R to limit the current to
the max value.
You can estimate the inductance by assuming its equivalent to a single turn
with an area the same as the circuit loop.

Bob