RE: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: "Tom Luttrell PWRCOM" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just to expand on the current limiting topic a bit further...

If you charge the cap up to say 50kV and it has an ESR (equivalent
series resistance) of about 1 Ohm and you want to limit the short
circuit current to 20kA you will require an extra 1.5 Ohms in series
with the capacitor.

It's peak power handling looks huge (1 GW) but in low duty cycle pulse
situations this can be considerably lees. Using a series/parallel
combination of lots of 2W low inductance resistors you can usually get
away with just observing that the resistors peak voltage rating is not
exceeded. Trial an error can be expensive but explosively  fun.