Re: The 1500t secondary-myth

Original poster: "Gary Weaver" <gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Its been about 3 years sence I built a TC.  I have many experements with
several seconday coils from 500 turns to 2000 turns.  I have tried several
diameter to length ratios and 3 to 1 ratio works better than 4 to 1ratio
and 4 to 1 works better than 5 to 1ratio.  I never got around to trying 2
to 1 ratio.

I also tried several experements with wire.  I have tried a single wound
secondary coil, double wound coil and tripple wound coil.  The double wound
coil worked better than a single wound coil.  The tripple would coil worked
only slightly better than the double wound coil.    A single would coil is
one layer of enamel coated copper wire on a PVC pipe.  A double wound coil
is a second layer of the same size enamel coated copper wire wound right
over the top of the first layer both windings have the exact number of
turns.  A tripple wound coil is a third layer of enamel coated copper wire
wound over the top of the second layer.  All the coils or windings are
connected in parallel.

I was basically building a variety of different coils, sizes and shaped and
compaired them to see which ratio, size, shape, wire worked best.

I experemented with spark gaps and found a variable speed vacuum fan spark
gap worked the best and was much easier to build that a rotor.  Richard
Hall said, "a well tuned spark gap will perform as well as a rotor, a rotor
is just a fancy toy."   The fan speed could be increased with the variac
and the faster the fan turned the longer the discharge sparks got up to a
point then they started getting shorter again.    Dial in on the exact fan
speed and you can get maximum output on any TC.

I did cap size experements too.  Certain size caps work better than others
but we already know that.   More efficient caps are the key to  best
output.  Multiple caps seem to charge and discharge faster than one single
cap.

Toroid size, too large or too small makes a difference too.  The operation
frequency of the coil also has a lot to do with the output.

Unpotted neons in high voltage oil allowed me to increase the output of a
15k 30ma neon to 15k 60ma.   The oil is a better insulator than tar and
acts as a cooling system.   I ever push a 15K 30ma neon to 75ma without
frying it.

I tried different shape primary coils, flat wound , 15 deg, 30 deg and
parallel wound.  Parallel wound was best for a 120 watt table top coil.  A
15 deg primary worked best on a 450 watts TC.  Flat wound primary worked
best for high power coils 1000 watts and up.

Phase capacitors on the neon can increase the output  too.    If you
increase the length of a 20" spark my 1/2" you can not see the increase
without taking a measurement.  If you do several different things to get an
output increase of 2% here and 5% there and 3% someplace else and so on a
20" spark can turn into a 30" spark and you can see that without taking a
measurement.

Certain things seem to work best in each circuit but the same thing will
not work best in all circuits.

Gary Weaver