RE: Aluminum tape problems?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

I have seen the same thing (small sparks between adjacent, overlapping
tape strips) occurring when the tape is applied on top of an insulating
layer above the corrugated aluminum duct.  I have wondered but not
determined if this diminishes performance.

To solve the problem though, I created a press-fit between the center
disk and the toroid with some EMI gasket material, removed from some
larger computer assemblies.  See
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/foamtoroid.htm.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Black Moon" <black_moons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi, i have noticed some problems with my alumium tape covered toroids,
> theres slight arcings beween the peices of tape when I draw an arc off
the
> toroid, opon checking with my DMM, many peices of tape are open
circuit to
> nearby peices of tape, I assume the glue is acting like an insulator
and
> was wondering what exactly I could do short of compleatly redoing it?
I was