Re: DRSSTC Primary Circuit Feedback Control

Original poster: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:14:57 -0700, Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Jimmy,
>
> "Zero current crossing" is a game...  You might have to "predict" the
> "when" and "time" things since the circuits to detect it in real time are
> too slow...  The dI/dT is really unforgiving there...  Microprocessors ;-)))
>
> But once you hit the magic mark.  All is happy!!!

I don't really see it as that big of a deal. As long as you get close,
most of the current is gone. Mine works fine open loop...

> BTW...  Can an 80 amp peak primary circuit produce nice
> sparks?...  "probably"...  In a conventional, say 15/60 NST LTR system with
> a 25nF cap and 21kV firing voltage, we have 5.5 joules "per spark"...  But
> that's it!!  No more...
>
> In a DRSSTC system, the 15.75nF primary cap may store up only 9 kV for just
> 0.64 Joule... 80 amps in a 250uH primary inductor is like 0.8 Joule...  But
> the key is that the primary system energy is not "fixed" like in a regular
> coil.  In a DRSSTC, we are constantly pumping power into the resonant
> system all through the cycle!!  Hahaha  Terry sounds like he knows all
> about this stuff when telling "Jimmy" about DRSSTCSs :o))))))  But I think
> I am on one of my infamous "rolls" ;-))  But it is like a tube coil on
> super steroids and run like a conventional coil!!!  The actual Tesla coil
> needs to be low loss in this case with the big primary conductors and all...

But... With only 80 amps, the impedance is so high that any streamer
load will pull it down, and you can't grow streamers. "Normal" SSTCs
keep pumping energy into sparks, but they don't have huge sparks